[OM] (OM) related - Manfrotto/bogen tripod head adj.

Subject: [OM] (OM) related - Manfrotto/bogen tripod head adj.
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 17:39:43 +1200
Has anyone here done maintenance on a Bogen/Manfrotto 3047 3-way
head?

I have one that I've been using for at least 20 years, and one aspect of its
behaviour is starting to be irritating.

The adjuster that controls left-right tilt has got built-in slop. No matter how
tight the clamp screw is twisted, it will still flop one way or the other,
usually
at an inconvenient moment.

At the forward end of the shaft for this adjustor is an aluminium plate with
the logo etc and a compass rose going from -30 to + 90 degrees.

Since there is no possible way in from the side facing the camera, I suspect
that I need to take this aluminium plate off (faces the photo subject) to
investigate and find out the cause of the sloppy behaviour.

Probably it should be removed with a sharp knife or a wood chisel.

Is this the way to do it, and will this facing plate come out unscathed?

All & any advice gratefully received.

Brian Swale.