[OM] (OM), yes, real OM for a change

Subject: [OM] (OM), yes, real OM for a change
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 03:11:54 +1200
Mike Usher wrote

> Brain Swale writes:
> "For a large project I have started, I decided I need to enhance my
> macro ability.
>
> I located a Zuiko 80mm macro, 170mm screw-in lens for it, and the Zuiko
> macro tube, at a Christchurch shop. I learned that it had been sitting
> there for months and the owner had decided to put it on eBay."
>

> Congrats, it is a nifty kit.  Nice bokeh with its symmetric design.  CH
> inspired me to get it out more for flowers etc.
>
> http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/OMC/80F4/80F4.html
>
> Optimized for 1:1 as I recall.  Never used it no on the tube but can be
> used on some of the ext tubes for lower mag too.
>
> I didn't realize the FL of the screw -in diopter.  I don't think it is a 2
> element apo design.  I don't think Dean was thrilled with the results.
>
> Mike

Thanks for that URL. I should have saved the record.

CH made those on the digital EOS MK 11  (Roman for 2) Canyon,
at ISO 1000 !! at an aperture of (quote from his page)
"OM Zuiko 80mm F4 at F4-5.6 handheld (29 Jun 2009)"

I plan to use film, ASA 100, and a considerably smaller f stop.
Maybe tomorrow I will post photos of the set-up I am making to take these
photos, using a TV/LP cabinet on wheels with glass front, that I bought from
the local recyclers for $4NZ. About USD3.
I plan to try using diffused natural light, or if needed, reflected diffused OM
flash into the reflector chamber of the set-up. I have several OM flash units
that have not had enough work from me.

The 170mm screw-in lens is just one piece of glass. The plastic mount
comes with two symmetrically opposing holes, presumably to allow the use
of a camera-tech lens wrench, in the event of the supplementary lens
becoming seized on the main lens, as filters also have the habit of doing.

PS; re the little funny;  offer had to be made BEFORE it could be honoured.
Try reading it in that order.
I still think it is a nifty scrap of the English language.  I like puns.

Brian Swale.