Re: [OM] IMG: Pollinator

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Pollinator
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:10:43 -0500
metamusal.

Seriously, now... They use a nifty briefcase sized machine that
automatically cuts the strand squarely and then matches the cores up
then fuses them together with a sharp blast of intense light which
melts the ends. Repeat the process dozens of times as a cable may
contain dozens of strands. Place bonded fibers in a splice tray and
hope you don't break any which you've completed. While you're working
on this one, somebody else is doing the same thing on the other side
of the broken section as you typically have to replace a hundred feet
no matter how small the break is.

Lately most of our breaks were at river crossings with tbe bored
cables getting exposed and then some debris flows by and snags it. The
temp fiber gets laid on the ground complete with marker flags. A few
weeks later the highway crews come along and completely ignore
instructions and proceed to mow hundreds of feet of fiber cable into
confetti. This year we've batted a thousand on that.

AG

On Friday, September 10, 2010, Chuck Norcutt
<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I know how to put copper back together.  How do you rejoin the fiber?
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 9/9/2010 9:24 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Fortunately, my job now is to design networks that don't go down when
>> said moron with a backhoe does turn 1000 feet of fiber into waste
>> material.
>>
>> ag
>>
>> On Thursday, September 9, 2010, Chuck Norcutt
>> <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>> OK.  I'll bring my shovel and soldering iron.
>>>
>>> Chuck Norcutt

>>> --
>>>

> --

Ken Norton