Re: [OM] [OT] Help with minimal home automation

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Help with minimal home automation
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:51:18 -0700
X-10 can definitely do it, also. The difference is in control
sophistication.

The big advantage to the Insteon devices is that there's a positive
communication handshake between device and system controller, something the
X-10 lacks. Insteon devices can also be polled for state. Thus, after the
Insteon device controller acknowledges a command, it then sends a command
completion message when the device successfully switches, confirming that it
is done. X-10 only acks the system controllers command, there's no
completion acknowledgement and also no state polling of which I am aware.

Insteon can also handle X-10 devices, so the two can co-exist, but I've
found that there's a lot more reliable operation of Insteon device
controllers--especially if one wants to be able to not only set, but also
control devices via web interface either locally or remotely.