Re: [OM] Naked Gun E-5 and FourThirds - The Final Insult

Subject: Re: [OM] Naked Gun E-5 and FourThirds - The Final Insult
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:31:29 +0100
On 14 September 2010 16:24, Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, but you can still use the BLM-1 in the E-5 (and the new battery
> in the E-3).  The size and form factor are the same.  The chargers,
> however, are different and can't be interchanged.  The higher power
> BLM-5 is probably needed to record video without going dead quickly.
>
> This is good since I have a pile of BLM-1's already.

A bit more searching came up with this, from the horse's mouth,
extracted from this press release:

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2010b/nr100914e5e.html

Li-ion Battery BLM-5 / Li-ion Battery Charger BCM-5
Japanese Electrical Appliance and Material standard safety laws will
be updated for lithium ion rechargeable batteries effective in
November 2010. The newly developed Li-ion Battery BLM-5 and the Li-ion
Battery Charger BCM-5 comply with the new safety standard in Japan and
offer the same safety across the world. *1
The BLM-5 is 1,620 mAh (Milliamp Hour) capacity lithium ion battery
and can be recharged approximately 500 times. *2
The BCM-5 can recharge a BLM-5 in about 210 minutes (at room temperature).
These units are rated for 100 to 240 volts which allows them to be
used internationally. *3
The E-5 is packaged with both the BLM-5 and the BCM-5.

*1      The Li-ion battery BLM-1 currently in the market can be used with
the E-5 but the new BLM-5 is recommended. The BLM-5 is also used with
Olympus E-system cameras such as the E-3 and E-30.
Please note, however, that the BLM-5 is only compatible with the BCM-5
and the BLM-1 is compatible with either the BCM-1 or the BCM-2.
*2      This can vary depending on conditions of use.
*3       Power outlet shapes vary by country/region, so be sure you have
the appropriate plug(s) before traveling.

I note that the picture appears to show 4 contacts on the new charger,
which will explain the incompatibility between new battery and old
charger and old battery and new charger.

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer