Re: [OM] Naked Gun E-5 and FourThirds - The Final Insult

Subject: Re: [OM] Naked Gun E-5 and FourThirds - The Final Insult
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:52:14 -0500
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
> A bit late perhaps but I'm not sure what else they could have done.
>

> Well Chuck, they could have implemented even ONE of the features seen
> in the prototypes. That would have been something. Remember, were
> talking about Olympus, not Canon. And unlike Canon users, we have to
> go under the impression that this is going to be the flagship model
> for the next three to four years.

I like the looks of the thing.  I wish it had become a little lighter.
 I like the E-3 so I am sure I would like the E-5.  It is interesting
how Olympus has taken a conservative approach with the flagship and
lets the innovations trickle up from the consumer models.  The E-700
should knock our socks off. :)

I really like the notion of a strengthening of IS to 5 stops. I'll be
curious as to how that tests out.  Kiss the tripod good-bye?  That's
almost happened for me with the E-3 already.

However, the claims for the sensor "tuning" are really intriguing to
me.  Can't wait to see what people come up with there.  Made for DP's
side-by-side comparisons.

Not desiring movie mode, I am not ready to invest, as I am quite happy
with the E-3.  I get excellent quality for as big as I can print 'em,
and I print a lot of 'em.  I probably need to get more lofty glass
like a 150/2 so that I can get good and unhappy with my camera bodies.

I actually like this approach.  It is surprisingly conservative, but
it offers a quality improvement potentially with every important
feature of the E-3 that I care about -- or so I hope (and it remains
to be seen).  Would be nice if some of that "tuning" could be sent
backwards in the form of a firmware update.

Joel W.