Re: [OM] IMG: Spideys Are Back

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Spideys Are Back
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:27:20 -0500
> The Leica glass has its uses, and won't go away.  But the increased DOF and
> AF with the DZ 35/3.5 certainly make life easier when taking closeups.  And,
> don't let its price fool you.  It is a fine lens that can hold its own with
> the older Leica lenses that I have.  The current Leica lenses, at 10 times
> its cost, might give it a challenge.  I won't be making that comparison.

"Top Gear" has compared some of "yesteday's" race cars with today's
stock sedans. It's rather amazing how well some of these low-ball cars
actually perform today.  Although, it is true that today's cars
perform very well, that may not necessarily be true under
less-than-ideal conditions which the comparision was made. Just
because a modern car does great on a flat track built out of a
decommissioned airfield, doesn't mean that the car is going to do as
well on rough or irrigular pavement.

Same is true with lenses and digital cameras. Just about any lens or
digital camera will match the top-dog gear under ideal conditions,
it's when things get rough that the high-end gear starts to shine. The
Leica lenses, once you start moving away from a certain style of
photography, will come into their own and definitely draw the scene in
different ways.

I had this conversation with my wife last night as we discussed my
future move away from Olympus digital to Canon/Leica. I've said that
whatever I get must support my old legacy lenses OR be the equivalent
of the Leica and Zeiss lenses. The modern Canon/Nikon lenses are
great--as are the latest/greatest Olympus lenses. But they draw
differently. I'm getting a totally different look with my old lenses
than people are with the modern lenses.  A music parallel:  The old
Zuikos are kinda like tube guitar amps whereas modern zoom lenses are
solid-state guitar amps.

Which, BTW, is the situation: All future digital camera purchases will
almost certainly be Canon. The CDFO has spoken.

AG