[OM] Water and oil [Was Re: E-5 vs GH2 sensor]

Subject: [OM] Water and oil [Was Re: E-5 vs GH2 sensor]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 09:38:51 -0700
> From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
>
> I would be more concerned about water, if I were you.

That's why I'm sitting at the back of the biggest rain-catcher in the area,
with two streams, a 50 million litre reservoir, and buried irrigation system.

2010 harvest numbers aren't in yet, but it looks like we directly and
indirectly supplied all our own food this year, as well as serving as a net
carbon sink.

> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> ps:  George Monbiot apparently doesn't consider that premature movement
> to alternative power sources before the technology is economically
> competitive (which it certainly isn't today) would have the same
> deleterious economic effect on the world's poor as a "permanent oil shock".
>
> Bj?rn Lomborg supporter - Chuck Norcutt

Okay, you've drawn the line in the sand.

Without any thought of changing your mind, let's just say that you're just as
seriously mis-characterizing Monbiot as I would if I called Lomborg a crazed
neo-nazi, intent on keeping the huddled poor in their place through un-fettered
corporate greed.

But I'm not saying that. 'Nuff said? :-)

Our agriculture, potentially capable of a large measure of independence, is
absolutely dependent on petroleum, on the oil companies, and on hte vagaries of
politics. -- Wendell Berry