Re: [OM] Linux/PhotoShop question

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux/PhotoShop question
From: manuel viet <manuel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 16:50:09 +0200
Le dimanche 19 septembre 2010 15:11:22, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile a écrit :
> G'd morning Chuck.
>
> Yes, me - that's why I've been posting and shooting little lately.
>
> This machine had a RAID 0 array, and its driver broke frequently so
> during July I decided to run Ubuntu in one disk and XP into another.
>
> Linux Ubuntu is able to see XP, and when you boot the machine, a menu
> lets you choose which OS do you prefer to use.
> It's not that Windows will be running under Linux: you choose which
> one will be running, independently one from another.
> You can do the same from a partition of a single HD, of course.
> Linux must be installed first, then you can install Windows !!.

Qemu is a Virtual Machine that runs on linux and can give you access to your
windows system while running primarily linux.

> Ok, so far so good: but I've found a couple of issues I couldn't solve yet.
> They're well known issues it seems. So much that they seem solved:
> 1- Time / date settings from a time server, under Windows. It seems to
> be possible to write a .reg that makes windows sync just like Unix
> systems do (MacOS X, every Linux distribution and Unix). I did so, but
> time would jump towards GMT at random, but not too frequently.
> 2- There is an annoying Energy administration which affects Ubuntu: if
> the machine goes into 'Sleep' mode you will have to turn it On (not
> Restart). And, if it goes into Sleep or Hibernation while running XP,
> you can wake it up easily but you will gind yourself at GMT (UTC ?)

Windows is brain dead when it comes to dealing with time. Just ignore and
configure your system to fetch time from a ntp server.

> Still exploring Ubuntu, found some color spaces one can install but
> forget about calibration using a Spyder or anything.
> The GUI is very interesting.

You can calibrate your display with a spyder using argyll cms.

--
Manuel Viet