Re: [OM] No on caught my stupid error, was: GH2 specs! wow!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] No on caught my stupid error, was: GH2 specs! wow!!!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:04:21 -0400
No, the only possible connection with Moose is that he has seen this
Buick parked at his house.

Last year, at 28,000 miles the Buick scared the bejeezus out of me by
hydroplaning at 70 mph on I-81 in Pennsylvania during a heavy
thunderstorm.  I thought sure I was going to lose it as it started
turning itself sideways but did manage to recover more due to luck than
skill.  I was absolutely shocked because I'd not experienced
hydroplaning since about 1970.  Both incidents were due to worn tires.
It was my fault for not inspecting the tires but in the past 15-20 years
I've not had a set of tires that lasted less than 60,000 miles.  I was
not prepared for worn out tires at 28,000 miles on a $34,000 car.

As a result of that experience I spent almost $800 at the Buick dealer
on a set of Bridgestone Turanza tires.  I had spec'd those specific
tires based on some research showing they were highly rated as rain
tires.  Following good practice the car was also given a 4 wheel
alignment when the tires were changed.

Fast forward 8,500 miles.  I took the car to the local Goodyear shop
which was offering a free tire rotation if you brought your car there
for the annual New York state inspection.  They discovered very
significant tire wear to the edges of the rear tires due to serious
toe-in error.  In short, the tires are not ruined but their life has
been significantly shortened.  It's especially irritating since this car
gets almost no driving on the pot holed local roads.  Its express
purpose is highway travel and it spends its winters in Florida.  I
suspect error on the part of the Buick dealer's alignment guy which is
emphasized by it taking them until the 3rd alignment to get the car to
track straight after I bought it.

Then, to top it all off, while I was inspecting the tires at the
Goodyear shop I noticed that the chrome plating on the wheels is
beginning to peel off.  I'm not happy.

Chuck Norcutt