Re: [OM] Linux/PhotoShop question

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux/PhotoShop question
From: manuel viet <manuel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:41:57 +0200
Le lundi 20 septembre 2010 14:41:36, Chuck Norcutt a écrit :
> My old Win2000 box is sitting unused in the other room.  It needs a few
> parts replaced to get it up and running again but maybe I should turn it
> into a Linux machine and get familiar with it.  I'm not sure I'm ready
> for dual-boot just yet.

Depending on ram size and processor power, it can be a good idea or leave a
sour taste. Linux itself can adapt to a lot of different hardware, but don't
expect to switch on all 'aero style' effects on a 10 years old machine. Latest
and greatest programs are computing intensive and require a modern kit. A
win2k machine will give you about win2k perf level under linux (probably
slightly better, but not /that/ much).

The most common beginning version of linux being Ubuntu, this can be a problem
as ubuntu doesn't give you much choice over what is installed. You can end up
with huge piece of software that will make your old computer crawl under the
load.

The good news is major distributions have 'spins' or subversions tailored to
suit different needs. If you intend to go that way, think about using a
lightweight version of a mainstream distribution, like xubuntu. It will be
less user friendly, but much more a match for your computer.

To install and work with latest Fedora 13 with KDE and 3D desktop effects
enabled, I found it was OK on my 2008 Asus eeepc 900A (atom processor 1.6 GHz,
1Gb Ram, 8Gb SSD). But I consider this to be the bare minimum. Anything
significantly older would require to pare back some functions or use an older
window manager.

--
Manuel Viet