Re: [OM] OM] Tyres was Re: Soon we will have winter again

Subject: Re: [OM] OM] Tyres was Re: Soon we will have winter again
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:35:20 -0500
I am pretty exclusive in my tire buying habits. Goodyear all the way.

But you have to consider that my vehicles have almost always been 4WD
beasties. What is fascinating is how different the treadwear is
between models. For example:

Most vehicles come factory equipped with the Wrangler RT/S tires.
These are absolutely pathetic in almost every regard and they wear out
around 35000 miles. Without changing anything else--just the tires, if
you go to the Wrangler AT/S or SilentArmour tires (the ones with the
same tread pattern as the AT/S), you not only get the most aggressive
tire other than the MT/R, but it's very quiet and will probably end up
being the last tire you'll ever put on the vehicle. One of my
coworkers put 160000 miles on one set, and I've put almost 100000 on a
set and they still had 30% treadwear left.

My wife and I bought new (used) Jeep Grand Cherokees about the same
time. Mine's a 2004, her's is a 2005. The dealer had put some Brand-X
tires (a popular non-Goodyear brand--possibly the most popular
truck/suv tire sold today) on mine and we had put some new
SilentArmour tires on hers. We drive the same mileage and similar
styles. My tires are worn out and hers are maybe 2/5 worn.

The AT/S or SilentArmour tires are the only thing I'll put on my
taller vehicles.

AG