Re: [OM] ( OM) OT Volvo made where??

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM) OT Volvo made where??
From: Frank Wijsmuller <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 00:25:02 +0200
Come on Brian, you can do better. I think your quote is quiet out of line
with the link you refer too.

First, the article title has a question mark. Second, it is about the sale,
not about the plants.

One of the comments makes more sense, and I'd like to add that poor quoting
is equally disappointing:

[image: Vote -1] [image: Vote +1]TonyB says:
December 26, 2009 at 6:37
am<http://www.caradvice.com.au/51568/volvo-cars-%e2%80%93-made-in-china/#comment-173451>

Look, as a possible near-future buyer of a Volvo, I’m not altogether pleased
with the pending sale of Volvo to a Chinese company. But what probably
disappoints me as much as this is poorly researched stories on the issue –
such as this one. Through-out all of the negotiations, Geely have made it
clear that at least for the immediate future, the two main Volvo
manufacturing plants in Europe would remain in operation supplying their
existing markets (which includes Australia). We will not be getting Chinese
made Volvo in the near future. Yes, Geely have also said they intend
building a Volvo plant in China. But that would only be for local demand.
Keep in mind that Volvos are already built in China. S40s and S80Ls are
already made in a Ford-owned plant. At the very least, any new Chinese plant
would simply take over production of these models. Will we ever get
Chinese-made Volvos here in Oz? In the short-to-medium term no. But I would
say in 2-3 years possibly yes as falling demand in Europe and especially the
US (as a result of the Chinese ownership of Volvo) will make the existing
Volvo plants unviable and they will eventually be shut. For me, the Q5 is
looking more attractive – even with its current 9-10 month wait.

Regards, Frank.

(V70 Classic Tdi, 1998, 410.000 km)

2010/9/22 Brian Swale