[OM] E-5: Digging in the menus, a few thoughts.

Subject: [OM] E-5: Digging in the menus, a few thoughts.
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:24:14 -0700
  Some interesting stuff comes to light when one goes through the menus
& specs on the E5. Dcresource has an E5 preview that list all of the
menu options. Some neat stuff in there. There is a lot more, but here is
the stuff that caught my eye:

MySet 1-4 - there are now 4 slots for your own settings.
Nice improvement here. I know I would use this a lot.

AE Bracketing expanded.
Nice feature, especially for HDR or focus stacking. Menu listing is up
to 5 shots, but specs show 7?

Copy all allows copying from one memory card to another.
Nice, particularly for in the field backups.

Custom buttons. In addition to the FN button you can assign functions to
the Focus Point Button and the Preview button
MySet 1-4, Level Gauge, and IS mode can all be assigned to any of these
three buttons.
If you thought picking a function for the FN button on your E3 was
tough! Nice to have more choices of buttons, but with the loss of the IS
button many folks (myself included) will have some hard choices to make
here!

There is a menu option for "Control Settings" to turn on or off: Live
control and Super Control Panel.
Not sure what Live control is. I do like the option to turn off the
Super Control Panel which I have never been able to warm to.

Level gauge can be turned on or off.
A new feature - and one that I can see using a lot.

Picture mode settings - allows you to choose which of the art filters
are shown in the Picture Mode menu.
For those who want some, but not all of the art filters this will be nice.

Copyright settings - you now can embed Copyright info in photos
It's about time! Strange feature to have lacking in previous 'pro' cameras.

AF adjust - fine tune focusing for up to 20 lenses.
A lot of folks have wanted this. Not sure I am brave enough to play with it!

Custom menu display can turn off the custom (cogs) menu as on the E-620
Nice feature one you have these things set.

Some nice changes and new features. One more comment on the menus - it
appears that they have not changed much from the E-3 based on screen
shots I have seen. There is some color added to make things a bit
clearer, but the organization and layout are pretty much the same. Won't
please those that did not like the E-3 menus and were looking for
improvement here, but on the other hand, if you know your way around the
E-3 menus, these will feel right at home from what I have seen. It also
means that the current crop of E bodies will be excellent backup bodies
for the E-5.

The more I look at the E-5 the more I really like it. Since I have not
plans to switch systems anytime soon (having recently switched from
Nikon to 4/3) I have a feeling I will wind up with an E-5 sooner, rather
than later.

Jim Couch