Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)
From: James King <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:36:25 +0100
  without some hacks windows 32 bit cant use more than 2gb of ram for
ALL running applications
windows 64bit can use far more although any non 64 bit compiled
applications are limited to around 2gb of ram per application
make sure you don't have the Microsoft disk indexer running... it
murders the harddisk performance.. itsa not enough to righ click on your
drive icons and say dont index me... the program will still run you need
to go to services and disable it
there is not a lot of software that internally is multi threaded enough
to make sure of dual let alone quad or more core cpus. :-(
you will also need to make sure you motherboard can support any memory
upgrade - some are quite picky about having different size / single or
double sided memory in different slots.
Good luck

I run a core i7 system water cooled and over clocked to 4Ghz with 6gb of
ddr3 ram and fast hard disks and I am mostly happy with the performance
but its a system I built myself and it was a considerable expenditure.

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo