Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)
From: James King <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:37:53 +0100
  On 26/09/2010 19:29, Chris Barker wrote:
> I would say that more RAM would be useful, Bob (but 8Gb?).  How about your
> hard drive, though? Is that large enough or new enough?
>
> I'll ask younger son, my Apple Creative.
>
> Chris
>
> On 26 Sep 2010, at 19:22, Bob Whitmire wrote:
>
>> Okay, so I'm running an early Mac Pro with 2, 3gig Intel dual-core Xenon
>> processors, 4 gigs of ram, 500mb hard drive on Snow Leopard. The video card
>> is a relatively new ATY,RadeonX1900. But the 'puter seems to be feeling a
>> bit infirm, at least when futzing around with layered CS4 files. I'm
>> wondering if another 8 gigs of ram would significantly speed things up.
>> Frankly, I'm not in the mood right now to buy another computer. When I got
>> this one I couldn't imagine how I'd ever need any more than a dual-core 3
>> gig machine. Phew! Also thinking of a RAID array to maybe make it faster,
>> but if more ram won't help, I may have to go ahead and bite the bullet for
>> more firepower.

P.S.
I dont have any experience of Macs so I dont know if the same ram limits
apply as windows....
in theory even the ancient 486 could access way more than 4gb but was
limited to 4gb per application running. Microsoft never took advantage
of this :-(

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo