Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 22:35:39 -0700
> From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Okay, so I'm running an early Mac Pro with 2, 3gig Intel dual-core Xenon
> processors, 4 gigs of ram, 500mb hard drive on Snow Leopard... I'm wondering
> if another 8 gigs of ram would significantly speed things up.

Most likely.

I just picked up a used 2006 Mac Pro with 4 gigs. Sometimes Aperture or
Photoshop seems to be locked up, but I can hear the disk going like mad. That's
thrashing, and it means that there's not enough memory, and the OS is swapping
virtual memory to disk. I have another 8 gigs on order.

If you hear the disk going crazy when it slows down, yea, stick as much RAM in
it as you can afford. In the mean time, make sure you don't have anything else
running -- quit all your other applications. If that causes Photoshop to speed
up and the disk noise to go away, you definitely need more RAM.

I had 12 gigs in the Power Mac Quad G5 that I just retired for the Mac Pro, and
I could P

> Also thinking of a RAID array to maybe make it faster...

Try adding 8 gigs of RAM first. If that doesn't help, it's unlikely a RAID will
improve Photoshop, except opening and closing.

Oh, if you have the 2006 model, be sure to get RAM with the proper heat sinks
-- you can't put just any RAM in there. Here's my source:
        http://www.memoryx.net/apple8gbmacpro.html