Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)
From: Donald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:13:40 +0100
On 27/09/2010 14:53, Ken Norton wrote:

> I loaded up the latest/greatest version of Lightroom. Yup. No difference
> than the previous versions of Lightroom. Slow? I think we need to offer
> apologies to Olympus for calling Studio slow. Honestly, it runs no less than
> 3X slower than Studio on the exact same files. Memory? Hog central. My other
> converters and sort programs run circles around Lightroom.
>

> I'm not picking only on Adobe as there are other programs out there that are
> as wasteful, but Adobe and Microsoft seem to have "bloat" down to an
> artform. Something that can be done with four lines of code are literaly
> 3000-4000 lines of code because they just copy entire modules and then alter
> the snippits.
>
> Since I deal as much with 35mm scans as well as digital camera files, there
> is no way I can use any Adobe product in my normal workflow unless I
> specifically need to. I'd have to do what you guys have done and spend $5000
> USD on a new computer just to be able to load up and run the latest version
> of Photoshop which costs more than my total spending on digital cameras!
>

> ...and people pick on me for my buying habits and the camera equipment I
> use?
>
> AG

All of which differs so marketdly from my own experience of Lightroom on
both laptop (Sempron 3400+, 2gig) and desktop (Core2Quad, 2gig) that I
must be in a parallel universe! The laptop is a Gateway refurb running
Vista, the desktop is a selfbuild running Windows 7. No problems with
either running Lr3, but I haven't installed the paid-for version on the
laptop yet, just uninstalled the Beta.

Maybe because my scans are only 52Mb? Nah, Lightroom doesn't care, once
they're in it just uses a preview. Does take a bit longer to import
them, granted. The selfbuild goes like sh*t off a chute, the lappy isn't
fast, but I don't wait for anything, except import of scans.

Nope, just don't understand it...

D.

--
I'm a Mac, but I'm happy with my PC.