Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 14:09:20 -0700
> From: "siddiq@xxxxxxx" <siddiq@xxxxxxx>
>
> Another thing, Bob, is you can configure PS to use a certain percentage of
> available RAM for the application.

Not on Real Computers(TM).

Allocating physical resources is the responsibility of the operating system.
Let UNIX do its job -- unless you're using something else, then you HAVE to do
its job for it.

On the Mac, tweaking any sort of memory setting in an application's preferences
has no effect, because everything is aggressively cached in RAM.

Bottom line: the OS knows better than you do what to keep in RAM -- unless it's
not a very good OS.

PS: Real Computers(TM) don't need "defragmenters" or "drive optimizers," either.

When we see clearly how anger arises simply because life is not fitting our
little pictures, dropping the anger is not so difficult. What is difficult is
that we want to be angry. We can see how our anger comes from our unfulfilled
pictures and from our wanting to justify the anger. We can also see that when
anger arises, we don't have to express it, nor do we have to justify it by
defending the believed thoughts. -- Erza Bayda