Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:43:52 -0700
All the messages on this thread have been quite interesting, but the
question I have is:

"Whatever is Apple's OS/X doing with all that RAM??"

4GB isn't enough? 8-12GB is better? Wow. I can run about 4-6 virtual servers
with that sort of RAM and not be unhappy at all. Linux or even Windows. And
my 4GB Fedora Linux desktop machine runs almost entirely in RAM no matter
the operation--even while GIMPing large images with multiple layers.

Is Apple's memory handling actually so poor that you end up with disk
thrashing while editing a large image with 4GB? I thought they'd cured that
issue when they went to OS/X from the old MacOS.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and many others wrote about Apple's (and
Windows') use of RAM and lots'o'other stuff.