Re: [OM] Longevity of computing devices, was More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Longevity of computing devices, was More Memory (OT)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:14:56 -0500

> I suspect that the average for Winders machines is over 3 years since 3
> years is a typical amortization schedule for businesses running
> Winders (which is most of them).

Five years at my present employer. Laptop lifespan is highly dependant upon
quality of machine. We get better than the average "Best Buy" fodder and
they last just fine. My current work laptop is about five years old and is
working just great. Good enough that when they do replace it, it's because
of normal replacement, not because it died.  Hmm. Scratch that. Mine did die
from a motherboard crack--but it was swapped out with another one of the
same vintage--just lifted the drive out of the one and put it in the other.

Power Supplies? Now that's another story altogether....

AG