Re: [OM] Longevity of computing devices, was More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Longevity of computing devices, was More Memory (OT)
From: Johan Malmström <jmalmstrom@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:32:19 +0200
My story is quite the same but on the other side if you say so, I've
been a Mac user since 1985 and a mac owner since 1990.
And I have always chosen my macs because I have liked the look of the
machine and my user experience.
I have owned macs with Motorola 68000, 68030 and 68040, then PPC 601
and 603, G3, G4 and G5 and also Intel Core duo and Core 2 duo. I have
also owned a SUN Sparc IPX and a IBM RS/6000 (ppc) in the late 90-ies.
I still have a Powermac g4 (400 MHz) bought in June 2000 serving as
web and mail-server, (mac OS X 10.4 Server). It's actually down at the
moment because it needs a new battery and I have no time it right now...

I started using macs because I liked the user interface, and stayed
away from the IBM PC with Dos that that was available in my home. I
have mainly used the computers for programming (basic, Pascal,
assembler then C, C++, perl and when with Mac OS X Objective-C and
Java). Also a lot off application development i Filemaker. All this
combined with desktop publishing as that was my field 1996 to 2007.
Before 1997 I worked with IBM AS/400 and IBM Mainframe and stayed a
long way from IBM at home. I can still miss some OS/2 things though.

In the mid-90-ies I started looking more on unix and had a Mac runing
A/UX, Solaris on the SUN and AIX on the IBM RS/6000. I was just
starting to look at Linux when Mac OS X was announced.

Today I work with real-time software so I use a thinkpad for work, but
stays away from Windows at home. My PowerMac G5 bought in January 2005
is still more waiting for me then I'm on the machine. The three year
old Mac mini in the living-room serves the family need just fine. And
I'm selling my MacBook Pro from 2006 now. I don't need that now when I
have an iPad.

In the 90-ies viruses could be plague because allot of file sharing
was going on on 44MB syquest disks, but as long as you had the
shareware Disinfectant you where safe. I had a virus in 1991 that
caused some trouble but that is the only time I have had troubles with
virus.

If I had not experienced the mac in 1985 I would probably be a dos-
person but I was in luck. For word-processing I prefer LaTex.

/ JOhan