Re: [OM] "The Unseen Sea" - timelapse of SFO/Bay area

Subject: Re: [OM] "The Unseen Sea" - timelapse of SFO/Bay area
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:53:37 +0100
Yes, that was an inspiring timelapse sequence. But as to use of the A-1,
since I have the A-1 manual to hand after Brian's question yesterday, permit
me to quote:

INTERVAL
The interval mode makes a series of still or moving images over a period of
time. Similar to timelapse photography, a series of images of a slow moving
event can be taken: the blossoming of a flower, the construction of a
building. The built-in flash can be used. Instant playback is disabled. The
parameters of the interval series is set up in section 2 of the recording
menu. The length of the interval between frames, the number of frames in the
series, and the start time are set with the menu. See page 96.

Turn the function dial to the drive mode position. Press the function button
in the center of the dial. Turn the front control dial to select the
interval drive
mode. Use the rear control dial to switch between the two interval modes.
Press the shutter-release button partway down or press the function button
to set the mode.
Interval - to create a series of still images specified within the
parameters set on the recording menu.
Interval and time-lapse movie - to create a series of still images and a 640
X 480 movie clip specified within the parameters set on the recording menu.
The movie file is played back at four frames per second.

After mounting the camera on a tripod, compose the image so that the subject
area falls within the focus frames; the camera sets the focus, exposure, and
white balance, and charges the flash just before each exposure. Continuous
AF can be used. Settings locked with the AE lock button are canceled after
the first frame. To override the automatic systems, use manual focus, manual
exposure, and preset or custom white balance (p. 70). Confirm the memory
card has enough storage capacity for the series by comparing the number of
frames in the interval series with the number of recordable images displayed
on the frame counter. Image size and quality settings can be changed to
increase the number of pictures that can be saved on the memory card. Press
the shutter-release button to begin the series. During the interval series,
the monitors will be turned off to conserve power. "Int" will be displayed
on the data panel and the data-panel frame counter will countdown the
remaining frames in the interval series. The access lamp will glow when an
image is being recorded.

The camera will stop recording images and reset to the first frame when the
number of frames set has been taken, or when the memory card is full. The
use of an AC adapter is recommended when recording with long intervals or a
large number of frames. To cancel the interval series, press the main switch
or press the shutter-release button partway down.

Piers