Re: [OM] [OT] iPad recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] iPad recommendations
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 09:04:02 -0500
  On 10/1/10 07:07 : , Johan Malmström wrote:
> About the Bluetooh 3G modem thing, as far as I know it's not Apple who
> has crippled it, because it works in Europe. The word on different
> forums is that it's AT&T that should be blamed.
>
> / Johan

That is correct.  AT&T was the one who said "no" to tethering until a
few months ago.  And when they did finally allow Apple to turn it on,
it's very limited.  Those of us with grandfathered 5GB "unlimited"
(yeah, right) plans are left out.  The only ones with tethering are the
ones who agree to one of the new 2GB plans.  And then the tethering plan
is a separate plan from your standard data package, and has its own pool
of bits instead of allowing you to siphon from your regular pool.  And,
like the regular pool, there is no such thing as "rollover bits".  If
you don't use all the data you paid for, too bad.

All of the cell carriers over here are that bad.  They've got us by the
short'n'curlies and they know it.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"The nachos are still good." - Jim Peterik

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard