Re: [OM] Fwd: Card(s) download Q --Paging Dr. C.F. Card

Subject: Re: [OM] Fwd: Card(s) download Q --Paging Dr. C.F. Card
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 21:32:43 -0400
I'm really not quite sure what you're asking but I think you're asking:
My flash card had files A and B and I downloaded them to PC #1.
Now the card has files A, B, C and D and I'd like to download only C and
D onto PC #2.  I don't want A and B there and don't want to have to
chase them down if they get downloaded too.

If that's what you want you're probably SOL unless you have a very
sophisticated download tool with a network connection between machines.
  Although you think it would be perfectly logical for the download
software to somehow mark the files that have already been downloaded...
it ain't.  There is no provision within the FAT system file structure or
file attributes to do that.  Wasn't part of the 1980 design criteria.  :-)

That doesn't prevent an app from creating a separate file as a log file
for that sort of information but there is no standard that would allow
it to be interpreted by any other download software.

I use DownLoader Pro from BreezeSystems and the way it works is very
simplistic.  When you point the downloader at a target directory it does
a file name compare between whats in the target folder and what's on the
card.  If it finds a match it tells you that file has already been
downloaded.  If there is no match (as would be the case on PC #2) it
don't know nuthin' and will download all.

I don't see that this is a big deal.  Even if you have to download 10-15
GB that have already been downloaded it should be easy to locate the
unneeded files either by sequential range file name/number or else by
time stamp and then delete them.

Dr. (not very Compact) Flash