Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 20:24:35 -0700
Isn't the "Shields Up" a little misleading if it says your computer passes
the TruStealth Analysis and you are using a wireless router? The router
would block internet probing but if someone taps into your wireless, they
don't have to go through the router's firewall nor NAT.

If you live near a dense downtown area, there may be a dozen wireless
networks within range. A nice software app for identifying wireless networks
is inSSIDer:
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

Although I live in a house there are 7 or more competing wireless networks
from neighbors at one end of the house and about the same number (but some
different) at the other end of the house. I ended up installing two wireless
routers, set to the same SSI, but on different channels, so that I could
walk from one end of the house to the other and stay connected. The inSSIDer
app was very helpful picking the channels.

California houses and yards are probably a little more compact than many of
you have, but with wireless you may not be as secure as you think.

Jeff Keller