Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 15:11:08 -0700
Chris, I don't know. I'm currently relying on Norton to block ports. The
firewall in the router would prevent ShieldsUp from testing if they really
are blocked. I know I can remotely control my computer from any other
computer I wish to, so it can't be completely hidden/blocked in spite of
what ShieldsUp says.

Could nefarious people have information about my/your network? Both of the
real estate offices I've spent any time in had computers on their network
which were incredibly infected with malware. The most recent instance
involved a laptop which was sending out so much internet traffic that the
network slowed to the point of being unusable. My daughter without thinking
carefully enough, installed spyware on her computer. Family members and my
daughter's friends have been given access to the network at times. I
personally saw an engineering company's computer which had been infected by
someone plugging a USB key into a store computer and bringing a virus back.

Google was or maybe still is mapping private network locations. I suspect
there is more known about my network than I would like to have known. Well
at least the advertisements and spam might start being targeted to my
neighborhood and interests.

Can a "virgin" WPA2 wireless network be hacked?

"However WPA is in the end a compromise solution. It still relies on the RC4
encryption algorithm and TKIP (Temporary Key Integrity Protocol). Although
unlikely, the possibility of new weaknesses being discovered still exists."

WPA2: "802.11i is by far the strongest security system for wireless
networks. The purist would argue that anything less is the equivalent of no
security at all."

Of course this is theoretical. A user who doesn't change his default
settings, or a hardware/software bug in the router might be exploited. How
many people bother to change the IP address of their router thus not forcing
a hacker to do at least some work to find it? It is almost surely easier to
hack a secure network if you know what is being sent across it.

Good security unfortunately probably best comes from something else.
Reporter to Jesse James: Why do you rob banks?
Jesse: Because that is where the money is.

Jeff Keller