Re: [OM] Longevity of computing devices, was More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Longevity of computing devices, was More Memory (OT)
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 10:45:57 -0500
  On 10/2/10 02:09 : , Jan Steinman wrote:
>> From: Chuck Norcutt<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> I won't attempt to argue with anything you've said because it's all
>> correct... except for the bit about Microsoft stealing the Mac's
>> interface.  They were both stolen from Xerox.  :-)
> Actually, Apple was one of four licensees of Xerox's Palo Alto Research
> Center Smalltalk technology, which included a windowed interface and
> object-oriented system software (developed under Adele Goldberg), and mouse
> (invented by Douglas Englebart).
That's right - I forgot to mention that.  Engelbart actually had
developed the mouse back in the late '60's.  He actually applied for the
patent for the first mouse in 1967.  Read up on Engelbart - the man had
some amazingly prescient ideas back in the '50s about how mankind needs
to think to move us forward and how computers could be the way that
happens, including hypertext and GUI's.  And this was waaayyyyyy before
the personal computer was even  dreamed of as possible.  Most of his
world-changing developments came through his own lab with DARPA funding.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"The nachos are still good." - Jim Peterik

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard