Re: [OM] Brain Cramp that won't go anywhere

Subject: Re: [OM] Brain Cramp that won't go anywhere
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 12:10:05 -0500

> Hand-to-hand combat for tripod space. (BTW, it's Great Smoky Nat. Park. No
> "e". Maybe it has something to do with Scotch. <g>)

Not where I'd take you. If you want to hang out in Cades Cove, then you are
right. Tripod warfare. Even the parking lot at Clingman's Dome can get a bit
wooly. But there are several very fine places I'd take you--one of which
doesn't even show up on most maps and you need a guide-dog to find.

Also, a lot depends on time-of-day. Clingman's Dome is just peachy at
sunrise. I've overnighted in the parking lot many times to catch first light
and had the place to myself.  In the middle of the winter, it's also quite
fun--but you have to X-country ski in from the pass as the road is not
plowed.

One must-do place to go in GSMNP is the eastern side. Travel east out of
Gatlinburg on 321. Obviously, right there at Gatlinburg, you got to do the
Roaring Fork Road. That's a must do. But continuing east take Greenbrier
Road following up the the Middle Prong Little Pigeon River and then going of
Ramsey Prong (hiking) to Ramsey Cascades. This is an excellent afternoon
hike--making sure you backtime the four-mile hike back to the trailhead
before it gets too dark. The early-evening light shines directly on the
falls. Beautiful. The hike is a gruling uphill slog for four-miles, though.
I had to help do a rescue of somebody caught up there after dark.

Continuing east on 321 for a couple more miles, turn east at the 321/32
junction. This is now a gnarly twisty/turny mountain road. Classic. But
before you get far, turn right on Cosby Park Road. This takes you to a trail
which follows Cosby Creek. This is one of the most beautiful hikes in the
park and place to my all-time favorite (and money-making picture) in my
files.

Continuing on 32 to the east, this will eventually become Mt. Sterling Road.
You'll want to do a bit of hiking/driving up Big Creek Park Road. Lovely,
but....

Mt Sterling Road (a GPS is of great value in this area) continues south now
crossing a couple of ridges. It evenually takes you to the Cataloochee
Valley. Cataloochee is by far the best kept secret of the entire park. It is
like Cades Cove, only smaller and without the people. Cove Creek Road will
get you back out of the park and towards I-40 and Asheville.

Just north of where HWY 19 and the Blue Ridge Parkway cross is another
special haunt. This is just west of Maggie Valley--an experience in its own
right. Heintooga Ridge Road (which was usually impassible some parts of the
year (closed in winter), and who knows the current state as it has been a
few years since I've travelled it, becomes Balsam Mountain Road. This is/was
a one-way road that punches deep into the heart of the park before it drops
down along a rushing river which takes you back into Cherokee.

And then there is the south side down by Fontana Lake...

AG