Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 38: bodega Sierra Salinas

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 38: bodega Sierra Salinas
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 07:15:31 +0200
Thanks for looking, Charlie.

Most wine growers in Spain and France will say that the vine has to suffer to
produce good grapes. Many places in Bordeaux you will also see stony, dry soil
like this. The vines develop very long roots to get down to the water
underground. The grapes grown at this bodega are Cabernet Sauvignon and a local
variety called Monastrell (which contains more of the substance that makes red
wine good for your heart than any other grape variety).

Because of the large amount of sunshine and other reasons, Spanish wines end up
quite strong, with red wines often at 14-15% and even whites at 13% (by
comparison, many German rieslings are no more than 8-9%).

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain