Re: [OM] Head Pounding Moment

Subject: Re: [OM] Head Pounding Moment
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 07:55:21 -0500
  On 10/7/10 00:37 : , Chris Barker wrote:
> It can't go on.  There is a movement the other way in this country, I believe.
>
> Chris
>
> On 6 Oct 2010, at 21:36, Andrew Fildes wrote:
>
>> The apparent reason is to soak as much money out of the happy couple and
>> families in order to ensure that they embark on family life crippled by
>> debt. Doesn't all seem to make any sense otherwise.
>> I've seen people spend an amount on the wedding that would have made a
>> deposit on a first home.
I used to work in a loan department at a bank.  I saw guys come in and
take out $80,000 second mortgages to pay for their daughter's wedding....

The whole wedding industry has drilled into the girls' minds that if
they don't get a diamond worth at least three months of her boyfriend's
salary, and if they don't have the full-blown fairy-tale wedding, then
somehow he doesn't really love her and isn't worthy of her affections.
So, they think this from childhood on.

My wife and I (my first, her second) got married at church with five
friends and her mother standing around us (my parents, at the time,
disapproved so they weren't there.  They later came around and realized
I made the right choice), and then we just all went to dinner.  My wife,
having been through the stress of a "real" wedding before, convinced me
this was the right way, and she was right.

I've been to weddings that had to cost $100k and the couple was divorced
2 years later.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"The nachos are still good." - Jim Peterik

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard