Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)

Subject: Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:19:25 -0400
I tried a T20 in my 24" brolly box this morning and, at ISO 100 it
measures about f/13 at roughly 1/3 meter.  Two of those would put you at
about f/18 or f/16 if you back off a bit.  So I don't think there is
much of a problem in controlling the amount of light you need for your
macro work.  But remember, you can't control the light with shutter
speed and (I don't think) your camera can go lower than ISO 100 so your
control options are moving the flashes toward or away from the subject
or adding more diffusion. Your larger brolly boxes will probably lose
more light but if they do you can just up the ISO dial a bit.

A single T32 at full power and ISO 100 in the small brolly box delivers
about f/8 or f/9 at about 2 meters.  Adding a T20 will push that up
around f/11 which is a bit small for portraiture.  Your larger brolly
boxes may help drop that down some but you may have to throttle that
back by moving the flashes back or perhaps running the T32 at 1/4 power
and use the T32 as fill and a T20 as the main.  Moving the flashes back
is less desirable since soft light comes from having the light source
close to the subject... or a larger angular diameter from the subject's
view point.

Chuck Norcutt