Re: [OM] Optimist Club

Subject: Re: [OM] Optimist Club
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 11:22:57 -0500

> The largest marine predator on the planet right now is the cow. More than
> half the fish taken from the sea is rendered into fish meal and fed to
> domestic livestock. Puffins are starving in the North sea to feed sand eels
> to chickens in Denmark. Sheep and pigs have replaced the shark and the sea
> lion as the dominant predators in the ocean and domestic house cats are
> eating more fish than all the world’s seals combined. We are extracting some
> fifty to sixty fish from the sea to raise one farm raised salmon. This is
> ecological insanity. -- Paul Watson

Jan, sometimes your footers are irritating, sometimes they are humourous,
sometimes they are even correct. This one is both entertaining and irksome.
He's referring to a lot of bycatch in this case. However, biomass is
biomass. Every ton of biomass removed from the ocean does have side-effects.
Mr. Watson is one of my heros, though.

AG