[OM] ICC profiles, Color Casts and Head Pounding Moment

Subject: [OM] ICC profiles, Color Casts and Head Pounding Moment
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 14:31:53 -0700
  On 8/13/2010 4:59 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> But to finish the tutorial... how do you do this in PhotoShop?  Convert to
> profile?

Drat! How did I miss responding to this? See below.

On 10/5/2010 7:17 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Right up front, let's get something straight: I'm a rank amateur when it
> comes to digital photography. I thought I was pretty good, but not the case.
> There is nothing more frustrating than to have your photographic chops
> chopped off at the knees.
>
> I've done a number of portrait sessions now with the DMC-L1. The camera is
> really not that good ... However, the image-quality is very good.
>
> Or is it?
>
> Skintones simply stink. Once I get the skin looking healthy, the rest of the
> colors in the image go to pot.<snip elaboration of details>
>
> So, now I've got this portrait session which I'm stumped on. The baby pics
> are safe--those are just one type of skintone to correct, but the family
> shots (mother, father, 6mo old baby) are a disaster because all three have
> different skin characteristics.

Have you considered going back, or forward, to using a correct tool for the
job? ;-)

Barring that, what about trying an ICC profile? Because it targets specific
points, rather than relying on waving curves
and such around by eye, it might just address your problem. Better yet, you can
apply it retrospectively. Here's a
simple way to try it:

It's pretty straightforward. You shoot the IT8 target in midday sunlight.
Especially for profiling a digital camera,
it's much easier if you use a lens with low distortion and shoot square to the
target.

Open the RAW file in VS.
Set Task: in the Input tab to 'Profile Film'.
Resize the IT8 outline to fit your image.
Do menu item Profile=>Profile film.
Unless you have changed the default name, 'film.icc' will appear in your
VueScan directory.
Set task on the Input tab to 'Scan to file'
On the Color tab, set Scanner color space to 'ICC Profile', 'film.icc' and
Color balance to 'Neutral'
You should see corrected colors on the screen and in output files.
(You should change the name of film.icc to indicate what it is a profile of.)

Here are samples from the process.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Lens_icc>
I shot some images using an 81C filter, warming yellowish color.
The first target shot, 741, is as used to make the ICC profile.
The second, 741_icc, is the same image viewed and output using the newly
created profile, as above.
The flower shots are also as-shot vs. corrected.

Once you have the profile, you may use it directly in PS, without invoking
VueScan. Copy the .icc file, under whatever
name you like, to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color (assuming Vista). PS
will now have an additional profile
available, called "VueScan Film Profile"

To apply the profile in PS, load an uncorrected image, "Edit=>Assign=>Profile,
VueScan Film Profile", and you will see
it magically correct. To make the change permanent without embedding a profile
unknown outside your computer,
"Edit=>Convert to Profile, [aRGB, sRGB, whatever you want]"., and save the
corrected image file.

One problem in using VueScan created profiles in PS is that VS doesn't put the
profile name in the internal field for
name, and PS uses the internal name, which is the same ("VueScan Film Profile")
for all VS created profiles. I've simply
changed the internal name using a bit editor.  Not a problem for a test, but an
annoyance if creating and using multiple
profiles using VS.

So simple, Might just work. Gotta be worth a try, no?

Moose