Re: [OM] OT - iphone as camera controller

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - iphone as camera controller
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:19:55 +1100
Indeed. My Grandfather owned one and he had to order it into the UK from
Switzerland especially. There is still some question in the family about what
happened to it. I suspect an uncle, myself.
They are highly collectible and used Switar, Kern and Kilfitt lenses, all
equally collectible. Good examples of some models command prices in the
thousands.
They were notable for having a reverse direction film advance, pulling from
front to rear; rather awkward until you got the hang of it.
They petered out into bankruptcy or other priorities in the 1970's as I recall.
The name 'Alpa' appeared on a few cheap lenses around that time - mostly
aluminium coloured telephotos.
Then they were reborn in the 1990's making very expensive medium format gear -
panoramic and tilt-shift equipment for landscapers and architects.
http://www.alpa.ch/en/intro.html
They are still out there making some clever stuff - the one listed by Jeff
seems to be a wide body using a Schneider Apo Digital lens and a Phase One
back.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx