Re: [OM] camera recommendation for a student

Subject: Re: [OM] camera recommendation for a student
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:57:52 -0500
B&H has the same thing for $10 more as a Nikon refurb, and I would be more
content with their reputation. Oddly, theey don't show this same "kit"
available with the new body, but a phone call or email could resolve that.
The D90 is a fine camera. All digital cameras are long in the tooth when
announced. I don't see a student using MF lenses, or anyone else if they
need to work fast. If you can find a D70s in good shape, it is still a
perfectly acceptable choice, but choose lenses carefully.

Billl Pearce

18-105/3.5-5.6 VR (in lens IS) lens for about $1200.  But it can be had from
Beach Camera for $1039.  There is also a Nikon $50 "instant" rebate
available and I think Beach's price includes that rebate.

I think the D90 as a DSLR is still probably highly desirable but is getting
long-in-the-tooth compared to newer cameras.  Where it shows its age is
that, although it does video, it doesn't do HD video which all more recently
released cameras do.  The D90 was released just before HD video became
standard fare.  Of course, video may not be desired at all.
  But I'll bet it will be for a college student.

All of the entry level prosumer DSLRs (those selling for about $900) are
very good cameras.  Canon is a logical choice for those having MF lenses
from one of the 6 adaptable brands (Olympus, Nikon, etc).  If Pentax had had
a full-frame camera at the time I bought my 5D I might likely have gone
Pentax.  If I was looking for an APS-C size sensor camera today I'd also
still be looking strongly at Pentax.  Like Oly 4/3 cameras they (and Sony
DSLRs) have sensor based IS.  But only Nikon and Pentax have full lens
compatibility for their own MF lenses of the 60s and 70s.  But full
compatibility (at least in Nikon's case) depends on the price point of the
body.  The lesser models have much less compatibility than the more
expensive ones.  And, of course, Minolta (now Sony), Nikon, Canon and Pentax
AF lenses from the early 80s are still compatible with their modern DSLRs.

The Pentax K7 might be an interesting choice.  The K7 costs less than the
D90 but offers some features of much more expensive cameras like full HD
video, a magnesium body, weather seals, micro AF adjustments, electronic
level indicator, interchangeable focus screens, etc.  But, on the down side,
its high ISO performance probably isn't as good as Canon or Nikon.

Notice that I didn't recommend Oly 4/3 cameras.  That's principally because
the Oly 4/3 DSLR line is done.  But an Oly 4/3 DSLR or many other brands may
make very good choices in used cameras.  Sony never followed the pattern and
Nikon has only recently broken it but the pattern on model numbers by some
of the camera companies have pretty much followed a pattern of single digits
for model number of professional cameras, double digits for prosumer bodies
and triple digits for consumer grade cameras.  Therefore, when looking for
used cameras with which you may not be immediately familiar a model
designation like Canon 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, etc or Nikon D40, D50, D60, D70,
etc. or Olympus E-30 or Pentax K10D, K20D etc. tells you that you're looking
at a prosumer level body of its own time.  Sony DSLRs are all 3 digit model
numbers with function increasing with the number.

If you want to go with a used camera and can determine a price point you may
want to go to dpreview.com to compare competing cameras of the same
function/quality level.  For example, the Canon 40D is still an excellent
10MP DSLR.  The KEH price is in the range of $600-700.
Checking on DPreview we see that the 40D was tested in October, 2007.
Looking at DPreview's camera reviews in chronological order we can see that
the Sony Alpha A-700, Nikon D60, Olympus E-3 and Nikon D40X are roughly
contemporary cameras although the E-3 should classify as a professional
camera with the others being prosumer.

If I were to buy used and didn't want to gamble on ebay I think I'd buy from
KEH (satisfaction guaranteed) and also look for one in EX or better cosmetic
condition.  My rationale there is that if it's in good cosmetic condition is
has been well cared for and very probably hasn't been used much.  For a DSLR
I think its the shutter mechanism that will probably fail first from tens of
thousands of exposures.  A camera in excellent cosmetic condition probably
doesn't have an abnormal number of exposures under its belt.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts.

Chuck Norcutt