Re: [OM] camera recommendation for a student

Subject: Re: [OM] camera recommendation for a student
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 07:33:59 +1100
This one is always tricky. I get asked 'what should i buy' a lot. For an
amateur moving to SLR at the moment I'm recommending the PentaxK-x which has
great value for money (and comes in purole, pink or orange if you really must!)
Or the replacement, the K-r. Or the Samsung NX10/5 for those who fancy
something small.
But that's not really ideal for a syudent - lacks the cachet and is tagged as
amateur, unfortunately, despite having some very good lenses. I'd suggest a
good second-hand Nikon D60 or Canon 40D as a starter but s/he MUST get the 50mm
f1.8 lens to understand the possibilities of decent glass without the initial
expense. Yes good glass is important but someone on a $5-600 budget isn't going
to do any better for a while.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx