[OM] New toy ahem tool...

Subject: [OM] New toy ahem tool...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 20:03:16 -0500
Well, I got to visit the candy store today--been awhile since I
stepped foot in one. Actually got to play with that Canon 85/1.2 lens.
WOW! Major drool factor. Even on the 60D it was pretty potent. I did
manage to back away slowly and escape with my wallet intact. But I did
swipe the CC on something else.

I bought one of those brand new ROGUE FlashBender flash modifiers from
www.expoimaging.com. I'll definitely be doing a zone-10 review of this
thing, but to just summarize it, this gets 4 out of 5 lens caps!!!!

The one I got is the largest one which measures about 10x11 inches.
(254x280mm). I was afraid of getting one too large for event/wedding
photography, but with the larger flashes I use (T45 and 285HV) I'm
glad I did. I wouldn't want the reflector to be any smaller because it
would limit the options too much. It has it's own velcro straps and
such which do not require anything to be put on the flash itself.
Highly flexible in that regard.

By only complaints with the modifier are three-fold:

1. The internal wires aren't stiff enough. I'd like them to be just a
touch stiffer, but only a touch. They got it really close.

2. The velcro strap is not long enough to wrap around the head of
either my Metz or the T45. Fortunately, I had made up some
double-sided velcro straps, which I chopped a four-inch section to use
for extending the strap. That too care of that problem.

3. The velcro strap has a limited patch area. I'd have preferred it to
be a little bigger. Over time, velcro tends to wear out and the
patch's small size and tension from the elastic strap, I believe the
velcro will be the first thing to fail.

If it wasn't for those three things, I'd immediately rate this as a 5
out of 5 lens cap item. I'd recommend this modifier over all lumiquest
products at this time with the exception of the softbox modifier.

On a side note, the in-flash auto-exposure of the 285HV and T45 were
positively dead-on with this modifier. Absolutely reliable and you can
use the aperture/ISO setting exactly as indicated. I was surprised
that I could shape the modifier to the point where I got nearly no
light-loss. With a little bit of effort you can focus the light. Of
course, you can bend it outward which creates a very wide-spread
light.

Materials and construction and workmanship are excellent and as good
as I've seen in this industry. Except for the velcro strap, I see
nothing to complain about in that regard.

It's not often that I'm on the cutting-edge of something (these just
came out a few months ago), but I'll gladly sing the praises of this
modifier. I'll be getting a couple more.

A Schnozz must buy.

AG Schnozz