Re: [OM] Entering Competitions. Why?

Subject: Re: [OM] Entering Competitions. Why?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 21:37:08 -0700
> From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
>
> I really am opposed to a bunch of 1: modestly successful
> portrait and wedding photographers or B: weirded out academics comparing my
> photos to a number of different photos made with differing visions and
> picking "the best."

I resemble that remark... NOT!

I've participated as a judge or jury member as a self-employed fine-art
photographer. I've never shot weddings nor portraits nor been an academic --
weird nor otherwise.

It was a wholly gratifying and humbling experience, and if you have the chance
to be a judge or be on a jury, I hope you'll jump on it! It left me wishing I
was actually worthy of judging the wonderful work I witnessed, yet I got paid
more than the first place winner -- truly humbling, but from the point-of-view
of someone trying to make a meagre living at fine-art photography, totally
gratifying. (I got lodging, two meals, mileage, plus $300 for judging over 400
photographs in five separate entry categories -- about a day's work -- which
was about as much as I might make at an art festival.)

But yea, competitions are for a certain type of person. I don't believe I've
ever entered a photo competition, yet I made my (extremely modest) living at
photography for five long (LONG!) years.

Competition can be very gratifying, or it may not be for you at all. But please
don't blame the judges for your lack of interest! I think they're probably very
different than you imagine.