Re: [OM] New toy ahem tool...

Subject: Re: [OM] New toy ahem tool...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 08:35:12 -0500
> That looks very useful.  Thanks, Ken.

You're welcome.

I did find one other negative nuance to this reflector. It's not
lightweight. It has enough mass to it to keep it from bending and
flopping around in a wind, but if you are moving the flash around a
lot, the leverage of the reflector on the end of the flash will cause
the flash to redirect itself. Not an issue with 285HV's which have
quite a bit of tension and the T45 isn't bad. But experimenting with
it on the Metz 45 CL-1 quickly overcame the position detents.

Regardless, that still doesn't detract me from highly recommending it.

Speaking of the T45, I was able to mount the T45 on my camera (or is
it the other way around), have the reflector mounted sideways on the
flashhead. Turn the flash head to the left so the reflector is
literally sitting on top of the camera. This turns the lightsource
from being upper-right to directly above the lens. When shooting
verticals, just redirect the flash head 90-degrees to the right (so it
would be pointing straight up when the camera is held horizontally).
The straight up position becomes left-facing when the camera is
rotated to vertical position. The reflector is then above the lens and
slightly to the left. This works well with the E-1/grip combo because
the flash bracket just fattens the vertical grip and you can hold the
camera straight without rotating your hands to RHOT (right hand on
top).

AG