Re: [OM] Review of Photobook publishers

Subject: Re: [OM] Review of Photobook publishers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:21:15 -0700
On 10/20/2010 1:52 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Care to summarize the top n where n is a number of your choosing that is as
> large as it makes sense to be?  Obviously MyPublisher must be in the top few.

Star ratings:
Adorama -     3.5
Aperture -    4
Blurb -       3
Kodak -       4
MPix -        2.5
MyPublisher - 4
Picabo -      1.5
Shutterfly -  3
SmileBooks -  3.5
Snapfish -    2

Rating categories:
Cost, minimal hardback
Cover options
Spine text
Endpaper
Paper options
Time to complete
Print time
Print quality and color
Design options
On or off-line creation
Creation experience
Standout features

> Are there useful rating criteria other than image quality and price?

Rating categories:
Cost, minimal hardback
Cover options
Spine text
Endpaper
Paper options
Time to complete
Print time
Print quality and color
Design options
On or off-line creation
Creation experience
Standout features

> Worthwhile to hunt up a copy of the November PopPhoto?

It may show up on their web site. There are 4.3 pages of text and
illustrations, in addition to the comparison chart.
I'd by one, I suppose. They long ago went to different covers for subscription
and newsstand editions, so I don't even
know what one would cost.

> Perhaps more importantly, would you try someone other than MyPublisher on
> your next purchase?

That depends a lot on prices. I'm quite happy with the MyPublisher binding,
paper and print quality. Their pricing
drives me nuts, with what seem to me to be high regular prices, but lots of
email specials. I just picked up another two
copies at half price near the end of our trip. On the other hand, their prices
on the same size books seem to be
comparable to the other top rated ones in the PP comparison. So I need to do
more price checking.

I find the Adorama floating pages that have no center curve and can do full,
two page spreads without missing the middle
very interesting.

I guess I would consider both Kodak and Adorama for a new book. I'd like to try
both on the existing book, just to see
how they do. But I don't like the cost for experiments when what I have is
excellent already. Also, I seem to recall
that Adorama has a smaller page limit. Haven't checked Koduck.

Informative Moose