Re: [OM] Weeks 38 - 41 Fotos for fun.

Subject: Re: [OM] Weeks 38 - 41 Fotos for fun.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:46:21 -0700
On 10/21/2010 3:03 AM, SwissPace wrote:
> Thanks to all who looked, it seems lonely figures wins this round despite the
> lens flare, it backs up my theory that people in general just don't like
> perfection! ;-)

Subject and composition are terrific. Big area of blown highlights, lens flare
and the dust spot are less so. Perhaps
art triumphs over technique again.

> I have been having big problems with exposure with the canyon, but I have
> discovered this is due to my new glasses which are rimless and also
> transistion to dark in the sun, however this is just done by a coating
> on the front of the lens and not the whole glass so sunlight is entering from
> the side and being reflected into the eyepiece.

Interesting. Both Carol's and my glasses turn dark throughout the plastic lens.

I documented years ago that manual lenses with adapters have exposure errors
with Canon metering systems.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/300D/300Dexp.jpg>

I doubt if the specific response of the old 300D is indicative of the 5DII, but
I'll bet the metering response to MF
lens apertures is still non-linear, perhaps requiring different compensation at
different apertures.

In the case at hand, -4/3 EV would normally be enough to reduce the blown
highlights to a very small area. As it's the
setting for the last three shots, I assume it is dialed in to get normal
exposure with the MF lens used?

> To solve this I now use a diopter and no glasses, soon I have new glasses
> arriving (as kerstin can't use the camera with the diopter adjustment
> intsalled and I will order a hoodman eyecup.

I'd have tried blacking out the edges of the corrective lenses, first with
non-permanent marker, of course.

> so it looks like I will be selling the digital zuiko's soon so anyone who is
> interested in an E-3, 12-60,  7-14, 70-300, FL36 please let me know. I will
> then probably buy the nykon 12-24/2.8G and adapter with the
> proceeds.

Wishfully wide thinking? Isn't it a 14-24/2.8 lens?

I started out using OM lenses with an adapter. For me, too slow, too
complicated (including exposure issues), too much
time taken and too many missed shots. I only use MF lenses very occasionally
now. I'd be picking up the Canon 16-35mm
f/2.8 L II , rather than that Nikkor. The Mk II version gets very good reviews.
Of course, I actually use a slower,
cheaper Tamron 17-35 - happily.