Re: [OM] 24/2 vs 21/2 vs 24/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 24/2 vs 21/2 vs 24/2.8
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:56:44 -0700
On 10/21/2010 8:47 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> I don't know. But this hot spot problem is usually caused by a lens element
> with a flat rear-facing element or an element which optically would appear
> flat from the perspective of the sensor itself.

Well, the 35/2 does appear to have one flat surface and three very shallow
ones. the 35/2.8 has none of those.

I took some shots with my 35/2 last month. I've processed a few and not noticed
hot spotting. They were all in daylight
at relatively small apertures, so maybe it doesn't show up in those conditions.
Maybe I'll go back and look.

> The sensor is extremely reflective and a substantial amount of light is
> reflected back through the lens. Sometimes a lens element or filter will then
> reflect this light back towards to sensor again.

So who's going to be first to develop effective AR coatings for their sensors -
and gain a stop of speed or more.

A. Bright Moose