Re: [OM] 24/2 vs 21/2 vs 24/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 24/2 vs 21/2 vs 24/2.8
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:15:12 -0500
> Well, for one thing, AG says so. :-)

Well, not so fast...

The surface of the glass overlay on the filter is very likely to have
a anti-reflective coating. Actually, I think the dire warnings about
the tin-oxide or whatever coatings on the Canon sensors being subject
to damage by Eclipse fluid probably proves it.

I just looked at the sensor of my E-1 and it does look to me like it
has anti-reflective coatings along with the IR absorption capabilities
which gives it a green cast.

At issue isn't necessarily the glass plate in front of the sensor, but
the optical trait of the sensor itself. I don't think you can put
enough coatings on that thing to deaden the reflection as it is
essentially a mirror to begin with.

As always, your mileage and sensors may vary.

AG