Re: [OM] Vertrise

Subject: Re: [OM] Vertrise
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 16:05:31 -0500
> Wow!  Very nice!  And I'll bet some folks would be willing to buy an
> iPad just to get that clinometer.  Is it really accurate to 0.1 degree?

Thanks, Chuck. Unfortunately wind-vibration makes that particular
image limited to how big I can go with it, but it does look pretty
good in smaller sizes.

All programs referenced in that article are available in iPad, iPhone
and iPod Touch versions. You do not need to carry around the big
beast.

Accuracy? Well, here's the deal. You can calibrate the device. 0.1
degree? The granularity of the display is 0.1 degree and since it does
allow for calibration I will say that it's accurate to it. Personally,
if I'm within a degree I'm happy.  The compass, on the other hand, is
a beast to calibrate and keep accurate. Use your handheld Garmin for
that.

Now that I've had the iPad for a while, and have spent quality time
with the iPod Touch, here is my recommendation: Get the iPod Touch and
for more serious portable computing, the Lenovo Thinkpad x100e. This
is probably the best combination available right now. iPhone? Well,
maybe. But the iPod Touch offers the independance from the AT&T
network which makes it viable for a longer period of time. Instead of
an all-in-one communications device that soaks the battery just by
looking crosseyed at it, a photographer can use the iPod Touch as a
tool, a photographic "appliance" if you will.

I'm a longtime PalmPilot user. I love that platform, but
unfortunately, app development is toast. The iPod Touch is pretty much
the PalmPilot for today's apps. My cellphone is a Palm Centro which
runs all the old Palm apps, and with the exception of the different
human interface, it does much of what the iPhone does, but I fear that
I've bought my last Palm device--ever. All that fancy dancy this goes
to that interlinking the Steve Jobs demo'd? Yeah right. Nice in
theory, but the iThingies are single-threaded and the apps don't work
together.

AG