Re: [OM] (OT) G12

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) G12
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 07:41:45 +0200
On 25 Oct 2010, at 12:32 AM, John Hudson wrote:

> What interests me, and what provoked my original question /
> observation, is
> the relative contribution provided by the camera lens to the
> generation of
> the latent image.
>
> On a side by side comparison of two large hard copy prints, one
> generated by
> a "high end" Zuiko film camera lens and one generated by a lens on
> the G12,
> which one would be an obljectively  judged better print [colour
> rendition,
> sharpness, etc, etc].

Hi John,

If you throw certain possibilities of image "aesthetics" out of the
window (such
as shallow DOF, very wide or narrow angles of view, etc) it is my
opinion (and
I hate to say this, since I won't touch the little thing...) that a
G12 will
yield an infinitely cleaner printed image at large-ish sizes, than
almost any
film Olympus OM shot.

I say this, because I have a large (80cm on a side) printed image made
from a
3MP Sony P&S (oh, the horror!!!) which I have never even been close to
emulate
from an "apparent clarity" point of view with my OMs and the darkroom.

I sometimes shoot very slow film (ISO50, ISO32...) and I certainly
have examples
of the best OM glass (21/2, 90/2, 250/2).

Still, what a digital P&S (or even DSLR) shot makes up for in
cleanness and
"breadth", it severely lacks in "depth". Dynamic range, and "solidity
of rendering"
(whatever these things mean to you, they are just the words that come
to mind) are
sorely lacking compared to even grainy film shots, most of the time.

However, if you put a good OM zuiko on a good digital body (Canon 5D
or 1Ds) I
believe there will, in most cases, be no comparison - the Zuikos will
win every time.

You will probably have to stop your OM lens down quite a bit, both to
get the equivalent DOF
that the little canon pint-sized lens has wide open, as well as the
fact that that little
canon lens is already almost diffraction-limited on the G11/12 body,
i.e. stopping it down
past one or two stops only decreases resolution.

When you start talking about my ideas of image easthetics, involving
shooting the OM
lenses wide open at f/2, you can fuhgeddaboudit - the Canon isn't even
an option.

regards,
Dawid