Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)

Subject: Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)
From: Olaf Greve <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 14:43:09 +0200
Hi all,

Well, my spare time has been 'sparse time' again over the past
weekend: no time for playing with the new gear. This is becoming a
chronical problem now. :(

Anyway, if all goes as planned, tomorrow night I should work on making
some improved extension arms for being able to mount the brolly boxes
and tilt them as desired.

In the meantime some quick comments:

-Re. Vellum. That's an interesting idea! It comes close to what I
wanted to do as a very first try: using the thinish paper that's used
by cloth designers for drawing new designs. A complication will be to
get it fully straight from above, as that is where the camera will be
just about always, as I take the pictures from that position so as to
prevent undesired depth distortion. Still, it's a good suggestion. If
I can't get rid of the gleam, and if indeed I deem it to be
undesirable, I may give it a go.

-Shooting from different angles: this was another good suggestion: it
hadn't occurred to me to position the flashes at such angles coming
from the front and back of the item. Sounds like it is worth a try.

-Focusing aids: all of the suggested methods had crossed my mind. The
only downside to each one of them, is that I tend to take the pictures
handheld (with the camera straight over the subject), so as to
optimise the working speed. None of the recommended options will work
handily then. I think the best way to go (that is: the first
experiment I will do) is to simply shoot when enough outdoors light
comes in to easily acquire AF on the subjects. I know that this does
introduce further light into the composition, so I'll have to see if
the shots turn out to be consistent enough still.

-Hand grenades vs. bomb fuzes/plugs: Chuck, your idea was not so weird
along the lines you explained. Many people only know the so-called
"stick grenades" as being typically German, but.... they were
extensively used by the Japanese too.

Alright, I hope to have some playing time somewhere between Wednesday
and the end of next weekend...

Cheers,
Olafo