[OM] (OM) OT cel-phones

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT cel-phones
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:16:12 +1300
I read all this stuff about fancy cellphones etc with some bemusement.

I have a little Motorola V220 flip-phone that was given to me by a long-
standing pen-friend in the UK (see my namesake on FB). It has a SIM card
which cost me about $30; I do pre-pay which costs me less than $20 a
month (txts are 20 cents to send, voice is quite expensive to send especially
between providers or to land-lines, no cost to receive either). I use voice
only in dire extremis, ( to keep costs down) and routinely use the V220 for
text.  It has a camera but that doesn't work (suits me fine) and I have
emptied the memory of as much music and games as I am able. One
battery charge lasts about a week. Now it misbehaves if it gets cold (so I
warm it up), but otherwise does all I want it to. It is very compact and robust
when not in use , but unfolded is a good size for talking.

Turns out it was a discard of the grand-daughter of said pen-friend, and new
it wasn't all that cheap. She (also on FB) told me it cost her 200 UK pounds.
She discarded it because it wouldn't store lots of music like an MP3 player
does  ....

:-)

Brian Swale.