Re: [OM] (OT) G12 vs OM Film

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) G12 vs OM Film
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:39:57 -0700
On 10/27/2010 1:25 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I continue to produce my prints at 300 dpi even though some labs print at
> only 250.  Your suggestion that viewing distance be that which allows the
> whole image to be taken in at once is probably a very reasonable
> choice.  But I'll continue to make my images at higher resolution if I can.
> Detailed images invite close inspection at reading distances of 10-12".

What the heck, I'll continue beating this possibly dead horse.

I'm not suggesting that anyone reduce the resolution of their images for
printing. I am suggesting that it may be
worthwhile to see if the soft/firmware that runs the printer making your images
may be more capable than you and PS/etc.
at choosing an output resolution and doing any necessary resizing for it. Or
not, but how does one know without testing?

As in so many other areas, especially with the advent of the web, there is lots
of common knowledge, expert advice and
common sense that isn't necessarily connected with how things actually work.

Bob spend a fair amount of money to study with experts, honed what he learned
with a LOT of printing, and passed along
something he learned. I really don't care if anybody else tries out his hard
won knowledge. I do care that I make clear
what it is and isn't about.

Moose