Re: [OM] (OT) Y*shica 35 gsn question

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Y*shica 35 gsn question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:57:06 -0700
On 10/27/2010 5:56 PM, AS wrote:
> Someone gave me a nice looking Y*shica Electro 35 gsn.  I put a fresh battery
> in and everything checks out. Shutter works great. Put a test roll of film in
> and noticed that when cocking the shutter it takes some effort. It is not
> smooth, there is hesitation, and it feels like the film is "skipping" over
> the sprocket. The film does advance but I feel like the film might tear bThis
> only happens when the film door is closed. When the door is open the film
> advances very smoothly, of course! There is nothing pressing against it.
>
> Otherwise a nice clean body w no other issues.
>
> What would cause the hesitation and skipping?

Resistance to turning the wheel. :-) Assuming this camera is not a member of a
French union, the possibilities are limited.

You aren't completely clear if winding is smooth with back closed, but no film.
If so:

1. Make sure the test roll spools out freely by hand.

2. Make sure the rewind crank turns smoothly in both direction and fits
properly into the test roll.

3. Determine what in the film path is rough, bent, etc. and thus holding the
film back. This includes the back plate,
which should be smooth and press back easily against its springs.

Smoooooth Moose